Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

“My graduation: Once in a lifetime” by Thu Nguyen

Welcome me back on board, guys. I've been overwhelmed with heaps of important events over the last two months, one of which was my graduation ceremony on 16 May 2012. So here I come, life! Seriously and officially, I am, now, a fresh Marketing graduate rookie who is about to enter the big market. Excited, inspired, motivated, a bit anxious yet full of passion; all these things I felt the moment my name was announced on stage to receive my marketing degree granted by Commerce Faculty of Victoria University of Wellington.

The graduation, traditionally, consist of two events: the Parades and the Ceremony. The Parades are not compulsory yet they are a highlight of graduation celebrations, which will stay forever in your memories. Unfortunately it rained on my parade day! I was completely upset with the dull weather of Wellington but I did not want a bad mood to spoil my celebration so I wandered around the Uni to take pictures. Honestly it was breathtaking to see Rutherford House lecture theaters, in which I used to spend most of my time, in a different way: it was the last time, ever, I had chance to sit in as an undergraduate student.
A complete graduation setting includes trencher cap, gown, and hood. The process of collecting academic dress hire in Victoria University was made absolutely easy for students through detailed instructions found along the hall corridor, which started from room 1 to collect gown, room 2 to take hood, and the last room to measure your head circumference to ensure the cap fit perfectly with your head. One important custom for newbie graduate students is throwing their trencher caps into the air to celebrate the graduation. It is definitely unforgettable to look at your cap flying up in the air, the meaning of which conveys hopes and aspirations of your future career.
At that very moment I realized all targets I strove for during my academic life were reached. I was graduated, and ready for my novel plans ahead.
The big day ended up with my Marketing ceremony in the evening, where I would have my degree granted, proudly and wonderfully, on the stage, and in front of my fellow friends. The ceremony was formal, solemn, yet cosy and heart-melting. I wished my family could have attended this life-event of mine, but unfortunately they couldn't arrange any flight from Vietnam. I was, however, happy with the presence of all my best friends, whom I shared my fantastic student life with, and who were very proud of my achievement.
I can never forget the saying I saw on that day "Celebrate! You don't graduate from Victoria every week!" Indeed, you may graduate many times in your life ahead, when you are qualified with graduate diploma, master, or phD degree, yet the first experience always remains unforgettable with full of emotions: you were naive, anxious, overwhelmed, inspired, and proud of your very first accomplishment in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews